Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday is a day of rest?


I think a list is in order for today. 

It is Sunday and the house is pretty much a disaster.  We’ve been doing a lot of crafts and not much picking up after.  It is surprising how messy that stuff is.  It’s like it multiplies over night.

Then there is the Christmas overflow.  I just look over by the tree, shake my head and then look away.

Which is why I need a list… Not knowing the full scope of the damage weighs too heavily on my tired brain and I don’t want to deal with it.  Writing it down on paper relieves that for me. 

So far this morning I’ve started laundry and dishes are running.  Made coffee, cooked Quaker oats with honey, prepared sliced strawberries, blueberries, apple slices, and hand-pitted cherries for the Panda’s breakfast, lectured said child about the rudeness of calling “hurry up in there” when someone is doing something nice for you (*sigh*), held a “stuffed animal doctor’s workshop” where I fixed Moose’s antlers, Zee’s wing, baby moose’s antlers, fixed bunny’s bow, and ran diagnostics on the zu-zu’s cart.  Then I started my list.

But where to start?  This week I did manage to finally organize the walk in closet that was floor to almost ceiling with boxes and bins with virtually all of Panda’s baby clothes and clothes that I hadn’t seen in months or years.  I was intending to have a yard sale, or do the consignment thing… but I soon realized that I was over estimating my spare time to deal with those things, so everything goes into the donate pile.  About 7 boxes.  There is still one box of dryclean (don’t want to know how much that is going to cost), one giant box of shoes to organize, 1 suitcase full of CDs I don’t really need but don’t want to throw away, 1 box of junk I don’t feel like sorting through, a giant spacebag that needs to be re-spacebagged because it was so big it blew up, a surround sound that needs to be hooked up still, a basket of baby socks and shoes to deal with still, pants that need to go to the tailor, a giant stack of jeans I washed and folded but still need to sort… and that’s just off the top of my head.

The top of my head is Very Full.  So that brings me back to my list.  Even finishing a list seems hard today.  It’s Sunday.  Day of rest.  But I know I won’t be able to really rest until most of this stuff is done because otherwise that puts it onto the weekday, which is full already- PLUS we are expecting a blizzard (yes, I know I live in the South) and I start double (full time) classes on Tuesday, and I *REALLY* need to start my P90x back up.  As a matter of fact, I think I’m just going to start fresh and make today “Day 1”.  Remind me to put that on my list.

I have the easy stuff on the list:  “make bed”, “clean catbox”, “scrub toilets”… but then I look over at the tree my child won’t let me take down yet… and see the clutter.  Writing “deal with tree mess” just doesn’t take that frustrated feeling away… I need to break it down into more bite sized pieces.  I know it will feel good to check the box afterward. 

And tonight, when I’m sitting in my clean house, drinking a glass of wine (remind me to put “buy wine” on my list), I’ll be tired and my back will be sore, but I’ll *really* be able to relax.

2 comments:

  1. what's with this "my child won’t let me" crap? that's redonkulous!

    you just have to take it one thing at a time, of course. there's two tactics: the "do the hard stuff first" tactic, which is really only for the motivated. I say go for the "do the easy stuff first" route.

    the child is old enough to help! give her some tasks, and make sure there's a nice reward in it. (for both of you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, I just want to point out, for the record, that the captcha word I had to type in to make that post was "prick." hmmm....

    ReplyDelete